Aum Sri Sai Ram
Press Release by
Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust
October 03, 2014
Sri Sathya Sai Grama Seva-2014
Social Service is an integral part of the Sri Sathya Sai Education system. As early as 1968-69in the very first year of the college at Bengaluru, students would go to the neighbouring villages to undertake Service activities. In the next three decades, on the 18th of November ever year, thousands rural folk from the surrounding villages would gather at Sri Sathya Sai Hill View Stadium at Puttaparthi. Faculty and students under the guidance of the Founder Chancellor, would distribute food and clothes as gifts to all those gathered on the occasion.
However, from the year 2000 onwards, this service expanded into Grama Seva with the following specific objectives. During the Dasara celebrations, faculty and students of our educational establishments visit the nearby villages and lovingly deliver food and clothes at the doorstep of every village member.
- To sensitize students to social problems and make them understand the needs of the lesser privileged.
- To expose to rural Indian life.
- To enable students to appreciate the joy associated with serving the poor and needy.
- To train Students in group dynamics and team work.
- To train students in the optimal utilization of time and resources in the execution of projects.
The Grama Seva project is strategized as follows: Firstly, the villages in the district that will be served are identified. Then demographic data is obtained from thue Mandal Revenue office. This is augmented by actual reconnaissance by teams of students and teachers. Based on the proximity of the village, total population, and time taken to reach it, villages are grouped together and various groups of teachers and students are assigned to a group of villages. Each vehicle is fitted with a mobile wireless set for communication between the different vehicles of a group and also with a central control point at Prasanthi Nilayam.
For 10 nights food is prepared and packed by students of the Anantapur campus overnight. They are collected by teams of students, who disperse the next morning as per detailed plan.
- Food and clothes distributed as token of love at ever doorstep, irrespective of social or economic status.
- Activity conducted in an atmosphere of faith and trust.
- Cooking, packing, transportation and distribution of food and , sanctified by prayer.
- Feeling of brotherhood and solidarity expressed through partaking of the same food by students and teachers.
- Entire activity undertaken by students and Teachers with minimal help from external agencies.
Grama Seva for 2014 conducted between 25 09 2014 and 03 10 2014, came to a grand culmination this morning here in Prasanthi Nilayam.
Marking the grand finale of the seven-day Karma Yajna, women students from the Anantapur campus served the inmates of Ashram with Bhagawan's Prasadam in the morning, post Poornahuthi. Students from the Anantapur campus along with their faculty have this rare privilege of serving the Ashram residents, ever since the inception of Grama Seva.
Students and staff along with hundreds of women devotees, in and out of Prasanthi precincts have also been active throughout the week, packing & arranging the Prasadam.
Public Relations Office
Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust
Prasanthi Nilayam 515134
Tel: +91 8555 287390 Extn 209
Jai Sai Ram!